[Kik_announce] KongisKing.net Newsletter (24/09/05)

Michael Regina (Xoanon) xoanon at theonering.net
Sat Sep 24 10:48:40 EDT 2005

Kong fans interested in giving money for Hurricane relief can follow these
links to donate. Thanks!!
www.redcross.org or give.redcross.org

Thomas Blackshear's 'The 8th Wonder of the World' Now on Sale!
http://www.kongisking.net/perl/newsview/15/1122134766

KONG #45 - 2005: "He says, 'Look at the golden woman.'"

September 24th, 2005

Here is the weekly newsletter! Enjoy!

Kong Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

Post Production Diary - 12 Weeks To Go
With 12 weeks to go the color grading department is working full tilt on
getting the right 'look' of the film. Color grading, used almost throughout
'Lord of the Rings' is an interesting process, we get to see some great
examples of how it works on a few scenes with Naomi Watts, Colin Hanks &
Adrien Brody. On the pure fanboy side of things we get to see some great (if
small) shots from the film! Skull Island, New York, the Venture and more!
Take a look!
http://www.kongisking.net/perl/newsview/15/1127524658

AFI's List of 25 Greatest Film Scores of All Time
LOS ANGELES, Sept. 23 /PRNewswire/ -- American Film Institute (AFI) revealed
the top 25 film scores of all time in The Big Picture-AFI's 100 Years of
Film Scores, a one-night only presentation produced by the Los Angeles
Philharmonic Association in cooperation with AFI. A jury of over 500 film
artists, composers, musicians, critics and historians selected John
Williams' iconic score from the classic film STAR WARS as the most memorable
film score of all time. John Williams is additionally noteworthy as the most
represented composer on the list with three scores making the top 25. Max
Steiner's score for 1933's King Kong was listed as number 13!
http://www.kongisking.net/perl/newsview/15/1127572413

S.S. Venture Images
Gandalf writes: A nice day for a stroll round the bays in Wellington today,
so I grabbed my camera and did just that. We've seen pics of the Venture
before, but I thought the folks at KiKn might like a closer look at some of
the weathering and detail on the vessel. This set of photos gets you right
up close... check out that rust!
http://www.kongisking.net/perl/newsview/15/1127435568

BKN International begins development of King Kong animation sequel
LONDON (AFX) - BKN International AG, the Frankfurt and London-listed global
animation company, announced it has begun development on a sequel to its
franchise King Kong animation entitled Kong II-Return to the Jungle and
secured a deal with UTV Software Communications Ltd, a listed company in
India to produce state of the art computer graphic images. The company said
the 80-minute 3D animated film will be ready in time for MIPCOM in October
with production scheduled to start in November and will be produced in part
by UTV in Mumbai, India, with much of the creative work performed and
managed by BKN from London.
http://www.kongisking.net/perl/newsview/15/1127318451

Kong Goodies This Fall
Bob writes: Universal is going to release the Toho (Japanese) King Kong
films; KING KONG VS GODZILLA(1962) and KING KONG ESCAPES(1967) on November
29th. BenBella Books will release on November 29th, the SmartPop book KING
KONG IS BACK which contains essays by luminaries from the SF/Fantasy genre.
http://www.kongisking.net/perl/newsview/15/1127317993

Richard H. Kline to Receive ASC Lifetime Achievement Award
LOS ANGELES, Sept. 20 /PRNewswire/ -- The American Society of
Cinematographers (ASC) announced today that Richard H. Kline, ASC will
receive their prestigious ASC Lifetime Achievement Award. The award is
presented annually to an individual who has made exceptional and enduring
contributions to advancing the art of filmmaking. Kline will be feted during
the 20th Annual ASC Outstanding Achievement Awards on February 26, 2006, at
the Century Plaza Hotel. Kline earned Oscar nominations for CAMELOT in 1968
and for KING KONG in 1977.
http://www.kongisking.net/perl/newsview/15/1127249001

Volkswagen Booth at International Automotive Exhibition in Germany
Mike writes: I'm sending you pictures from the Volkswagen booth at the
International Automotive Exhibition in Frankfurt am Main (Germany). Thy
built a little movie theater where they screened some action with the
Volkswagen Touareg. Then a little note from Peter Jackson greeting the
audience at Volkswagen. And then they showed "the newest pictures of King
Kong", as it was written at the front of the booth. It appeared to be the
well-kown official trailer. Before heading out of the room we where given
some nice little extras, a bag, a sticker and a postcard with a pin. So it
was worth waiting for.
http://www.kongisking.net/perl/newsview/15/1127169672

Searching Skull Island (Breakdown of our various sections)

Coming Soon:

September 28th: Naomi Watts Birthday
September 28th: Premiere date for Jackson's Gallipoli film
September 29th: Kong chat

SCRAPBOOK - (Coming Soon): Currently we are linking to the King Kong section
of TheOneRing.net's scrapbook. It has over 300 images from the sets, the
actors and the press conference held just before start of production in
September of 2004.
GOTO: http://www.kongisking.net/scrapbook/

KONG 2005 - This section is specifically dedicated to Peter Jackson's
remake. Take a look at cast bios and video production diaries!
GOTO: http://www.kongisking.net/kong2005/

MESSAGE BOARDS - A great place to chat about Kong, PJ, or filmmaking in
general.
GOTO: http://boards.kongisking.net/perl/gforum.cgi

LIVE CHAT - A java chatroom where you can login, meet Kong fans from around
the world, and get chatting!
GOTO: http://www.kongisking.net/chat/

KONG HISTORY: King Kong is back. In 2005, writer/director Peter Jackson, the
man responsible for "The Lord of the Rings" Trilogy, will direct a new,
large-scale remake featuring a monstrous computer generated ape to be
created by Jackson's special effects company, WETA Digital. However, Kong's
origins lay long ago, towards the beginning of the last century in fact.
What follows is a history of the great ape's adventures, on both the large
and small screen. This history's films and TV series are the one's that were
widely released.
GOTO: http://www.kongisking.net/history/

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any suggestions as to chat
guests, content items, or just want to say hi? Drop us a line at
spymaster at kongisking.net, do you want to speak with a specific person? just
type in their handle (i.e. Xoanon = xoanon at kongisking.net).

Michael Regina
Editor in Chief/Segment Producer