[Kik_announce] KongIsKing.net Newsletter (04/12/2004)

Michael Regina (Xoanon) xoanon@theonering.net
Sat, 4 Dec 2004 12:23:51 -0500

KONG #10 - Where's that Ape been the past 2 weeks?!

December 4th, 2004

Here is the weekly newsletter! Enjoy!

Kong Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

Production Diary: Day 62
Day 62 turns the cameras around to focus on....cameras! Many people have
written in asking about the different film cameras used on the sets, what
types of cameras are used? How many different cameras are used at the same
time? What does a focus puller do? How does one change the focus on a camera
sitting on a crane 20 feet in the air? Take a look!
http://www.kongisking.net/perl/newsview/15/1102175497

Production Diary: Day 58
Peter Jackson answers YOUR questions! Today's Production Diary features the
first of a series of PD's based on fan questions. Peter has looked through a
TON of emails and decided the first topic to showcase is the Art Department.
Many fans have asked about the folks in the Art Department, what do they do?
How do they co-ordinate their work? What part do they play on a day-to-day
basis of filming...all the answers are here!!
http://www.kongisking.net/perl/newsview/15/1101939181

KONG FILES 4: The Wrong Kong - Part 2
We live in truly wondrous times. In these days of features-loaded DVD
releases and affordable big-screen TVs with room-rumbling sound systems,
it's hard to imagine a period when you could not simply pop in CITIZEN KANE
to watch on a whim.
http://www.kongisking.net/perl/newsview/15/1101918354

Newsweek Shows KONG Design!
Newsweek Dec. 6 issue - Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens are
indisputably different people, but it is tempting sometimes to think of them
as three voices in one person's head. One voice is exuberant (Boyens), one
hilariously bleak (Walsh) and one eternally steady and focused (Jackson).
http://www.kongisking.net/perl/newsview/15/1101655933

Production Diary: Day 53
There is no doubt that Peter Jackson has put New Zealand on the map in the
eyes of Movie magazines around the world. Proof of this can be seen in this
latest Production Diary which turns the cameras onto the press who have been
covering the film.
http://www.kongisking.net/perl/newsview/15/1101326309

PJ Wants Your Emails!
Peter Jackson's Production Diary entries have been nothing short of
groundbreaking in terms of behind the scene access. We as fans have seen
things never available to us before. Peter has decided to take this one step
further, in his latest entry he asks YOU to send in ideas or questions you
may have for HIM. The first batch of more than 300 emails has been sent over
to him. Peter will either select a few to answer or will let YOU decide from
a few by an online poll. But he still wants more! Be sure to drop us a line
with your idea or question about King Kong, film-making, or anything else!
http://www.kongisking.net/perl/newsview/15/1101181263

KONG: King of Skull Island Update
Author Joe DeVito writes: I just received a copy of my book - KONG: King of
Skull Island, the Cooper authorized prequel/sequel to the original King Kong
story with a forward by Ray Harryhausen - that was posted last week. As a
life-long fan of King Kong, this book has been a true labor of love. After
so many years working on this project, it is difficult to comprehend that I
can finally hold it in my hands.
http://www.kongisking.net/perl/newsview/15/1101088075

Production Diary: Day 51
What is involved in hauling an entire multi-million dollar production to odd
locations around Wellington? A ton more than you think! Just imagine the
logistical nightmare of food, water, power, trucks, props, computers,
cameras, extras, and more! PJ's unit teams give us a guided tour of all the
background things that tend to miss the spotlight, but are just as
important! Be sure to watch out for a fuzzy drawing of KONG, a SKIIP getting
his makeup done, and more! Also make sure to catch PJ's special message to
everyone at the end of the diary entry!
http://www.kongisking.net/perl/newsview/15/1100890901

Name That Chase Tune!
Many MANY people have been asking what music was used in the infamous
Production Diary 36 featuring PJ, Jack Black, and Carter Nixon chasing our
Kong Spy Gandalf around the set. It turns out that Carter Nixon's own band
'Crumb' provided the song, called 'Julie Got Married'. You can view their
website here.
http://www.kongisking.net/perl/newsview/15/1100711379

Night Filming on Kong Set
Gandalf writes: Yesterday (Tue 16) saw action on the Village Wall set. Huge
flood lights could easily be seen from across town as shown in the first
photo @8:30pm. Twenty minutes later with a darker sky the set really stands
out (center left of the second photo), graphically demonstrating the "like
moths to a flame" comment in the recent newspaper article. The final image
is a close-up view well after sunset. This is the first time I've seen these
lights used well into the night suggesting more night shooting is under way.
http://www.kongisking.net/perl/newsview/15/1100635359

KONG FILES 3: The Wrong Kong - Part 1
Last week's Kong Files column was, I admit, a bit grim ("Every Picture Tells
a Story"), and I expect that a bit of levity in this installment might be
just what the doctor ordered. Toward that end, welcome to Part One of an
ongoing series that I'll call "The Wrong Kong." This week's episode: "Kong"
Meets Desi.
http://www.kongisking.net/perl/newsview/15/1100624312

View from the Empire State Building (Things seen from beyond the front page)

ADVERTISE ON KONGISKING.NET

KongisKing.net is happy to announce we are finally 'selling' our own ad
space on all pages of KongisKing.net. If you are interested in reaching the
largest audience of fans online, visit our advertising page. No campaign is
too short and no business is too small to advertise.
http://www.theonering.net/theonering/ads.html

Searching Skull Island (Breakdown of our various sections)

SCRAPBOOK - (Coming Soon): Currently we are linking to the King Kong section
of TheOneRing.net's scrapbook. It has over 30 images from the sets, the
actors and the press conference held just before start of production in
September of 2004.
GOTO: http://www.kongisking.net/scrapbook/

KONG 2005 - This section is specifically dedicated to Peter Jackson's
remake. Take a look at cast bios and video production diaries!
GOTO: http://www.kongisking.net/kong2005/

MESSAGE BOARDS - A great place to chat about Kong, PJ, or filmmaking in
general.
GOTO: http://boards.kongisking.net/perl/gforum.cgi

LIVE CHAT - A java chatroom where you can login, meet Kong fans from around
the world, and get chatting!
GOTO: http://www.kongisking.net/chat/

KONG HISTORY: King Kong is back. In 2005, writer/director Peter Jackson, the
man responsible for "The Lord of the Rings" Trilogy, will direct a new,
large-scale remake featuring a monstrous computer generated ape to be
created by Jackson's special effects company, WETA Digital. However, Kong's
origins lay long ago, towards the beginning of the last century in fact.
What follows is a history of the great ape's adventures, on both the large
and small screen. This history's films and TV series are the one's that were
widely released.
GOTO: http://www.kongisking.net/history/

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any suggestions as to chat
guests, content items, or just want to say hi? Drop us a line at
spymaster@kongisking.net, do you want to speak with a specific person? just
type in their handle (i.e. Xoanon = xoanon@kongisking.net).

Michael Regina
Editor in Chief/Segment Producer